Monday, January 5, 2009

Be Who You Are

The second chapter of this book is titled, "Who You Are Is More Important Than What You Do." How often we get caught up in this performance driven culture that says you have do this and that in order to be a success. The truth is, God made each and every one of us unique. He gave us each talents and abilities unlike those around us. Still, I find myself comparing what I do with others, as if I'm doing a good job only when my efforts are equitable or eclipse what their doing. What I must never forget is that God has called me to being not doing. The question is not, "What am I doing?, but, "What am I being?". If I am truly being what He has instructed, called, equipped and empowered me to be then the doing will come naturally. Not only will it come naturally, but it will also be unique to who I am.

Don't let what you do define you. Be what God has called you to be. My responsibility as a husband and father, moreover as a Christian in general, is to be an example for everyone I come in contact with, that they may see in me Christ's love and compassion for lost humanity and in turn be inspired to the same.

Lord, help me to be all you want me to be, not just do things because it's what my job demands.

2 comments:

Jenn said...

hey brother of mine! this seems like a really good book. I think the thought of being who God wants you to be and not just doing what you think He wants you to do is a great thought. I think sometimes we get those two thoughts backwards. I know since my past mistakes, it has been hard for me to really realize that the important thing is for me to be who God has called me to be. Since prior to I was "doing" things (praise and worship, deconess, ect..) which I think made me feel like i was being who He called me to be, but rather I was just doing the things that I thought defined me. Anyway...I am trying to find rest in just being who He wants me to be and letting Him pave my new path. To take me to where He wants me. Love you bunches and keep up the good work...

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an important chapter.

After all, God is not just the great I DO, but the great I AM.


Blessings,
Linda

HEART OF A READY WRITER – Reading Through the Bible in 2009