Friday, April 11, 2008

How To Be Wise (Part 10)

(This is from Thursday, April 10th)
We had some friends stay the night with us last night due to the severe weather in the area. Where they live is not exactly ideal for weathering severe storms. The Weston's are great! They have become some of our closest friends here in Berryville. James loves their son Isaac and wants to play with him all the time. It's hilarious to watch them interact with one another. It gives me a good idea of what having two boys will be like.

I bring this up because this morning James and I were sitting on the couch and I was reading the Bible the Proverb of the day to him. He's usually very cuddly in the mornings and will be still enough for me to read to him. So, there we were sitting there reading when Isaac comes out of the guest bedroom. My time with James was over. James was so excited to see his friend. He looked at me with a huge grin on his face and then darted from my lap to play. It was nice while it lasted.

I began thinking about how much I love those times with my son. He seems to fit perfectly in my arms all snug and warm. It's there he feels safe and I am able keep him warm and protected. I soon began to reflect on the fact that this won't last forever. Before I know it, he will want to do other things besides hang out with his dear old dad. I think that's why God says to come to Him as a child, looking to Him for peace and protection. So often, however, we choose to do our own thing and go our own way.

The very first verse of chapter 10 is the one I want to focus on. It states, "A wise son brings joy to his father, but a foolish son grief to his mother." I hope to train up my children in such a way that there wisdom of right and wrong bring me joy. I am so thankful for parents who raised me to know right from wrong, who exemplified what loving and Godly parents should be. I sincerely hope, when they think of me, I bring them joy instead of grief.

May you bring joy to your heavenly Father as you live a life of character and integrity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I loved this one! In case you didn't already know it; " you have never,never, never brought us grief, only joy, bunches and bunches of joy! I love you so very much son. Cherish those moments with your son, someday you will blink and he will be grown and live 4 hours away and you will rarely get to see him.