Friday, April 18, 2008

How To Be Wise (Part 13)

This last week has been pretty hectic. I've gotten pretty far behind on doing this daily blog on the Proverbs, but instead of trying to cram all the chapters from the 13-18 into one day, I'm just going to pick up where I left off.

(At the expense that this may sound self-loathing, here goes nothing.)

Chapter 13 has several verses that I would like to highlight. Verse 7, "One man pretends to be rich, yet has nothing; another pretends to be poor, yet has great wealth." verse 11, "...he who gathers money little by little makes it grow." and verse 22, "A good man leaves an inheritance for his children's children." are all verses dealing with finances. The wisdom in these verses seem simple, yet are so profound. I think it is amazing how God deals with every aspect of life in His Word. He not only tells us of His wonderful plan of salvation from sin and living an eternal life with Him, but he also shows us how we are to live abundantly while we are temporal beings. It's laid out plain and simple if we will just follow it, however, there in lies most people's problem. We simply fail to stick to the plan. Why is that? If I'm brutally honest with you and myself, this is one of the areas of life where I struggle most. I could make excuse after excuse, but what it all boils down to is that I, over and over again, fail to do what God's Word advises. I want my own way no matter what the cost. All the while, I'm not only affecting my life, but also the lives of my children and their children. How selfish am I? I have to ask myself, "When will I wake up? When will I step up and be the man God desires for me to be? How much more could I do for God's kingdom if I wasn't in bondage to debt? When will I begin to lead by example?," or, will I continue to make excuses to the detriment of those I love?

GOD HELP ME!!! Help me make wise decisions and follow what your word teaches. Don't let my desires for earthly pleasures keep me from fulfilling your will and calling upon my life. Help me be content in all things.

No comments: