Monday, April 14, 2008

How To Be Wise (Part 11)

(From Friday, April 10)
There are two verses I want to drawl from this chapter. The first is verse 14, "Where there is no guidance, the people fall, but in the abundance of counselors there is victory." As I thought about this verse, I had to ask myself, "How many times have I plunged ahead without counsel only to fail in my endeavors?" If I had only paused long enough to seek advise from those who have gone before, what a difference it would have made. Instead of defeat, I would have found triumph. Instead of failure, I would have achieved success. Instead of floundering in frustration, I would have the ability to thrive. But, because of my impetuous abandonment of astute admonishment the dreams implanted in me are forced to miscarry.

Why is this? I think it's hard to admit sometimes that I need help. Maybe I'm afraid it will expose to everyone my weaknesses. However, the truth of the matter is, we all need help. We all have weaknesses. It's when we are able to acknowledge those weaknesses and work together that we find success. I'm so thankful for the people God has brought into my life to assist in the birthing of God's dreams. Lord, help me to utilize those whom you brought along side me to bring dreams into reality.

The second verse I would like to single out is verse 30, particularly the second half. "...And he who is wise wins souls." This implies, if your not winning souls, you are not wise. How many people have you or I led into a relationship with Jesus this month, this year, in the last five years? I could very easily let myself off the hook and say, "Well, I'm a youth pastor. I speak to lots of teenagers on a weekly basis in our youth gatherings. I've seen several come to know Jesus through that." That would be an easy out for me, but the truth is, I haven't personally shared Christ with a non-believer outside the church walls very often. All my friends are Christians. Most of the places I go are with Christians. However, as I look at Jesus example, that's not at all what He did. Every place He went was to hang out with sinners, to show them God's love wasn't only for the "good," but for all people willing to believe. Lord, help me to abandon my comfort zone and reach out to people with a sense of urgency not taking one day for granted. Give me wisdom to know how to meet them at their point of need.

May you seek counsel in every aspect of life to achieve success. May God open your eyes to see everyone as a soul in need of knowing Christ and the wisdom to know how to reach them.

No comments: