Tuesday, April 15, 2008

How To Be Wise (Part 12)

When I was a kid I loved to get a "spankin.'" It was probably the most enjoyable part of young life. I received one just about every other day, if not every day. I would do anything I could to get them because I loved them so much...YEAH RIGHT!

No kid likes to be disciplined, but it's a natural part of life that teaches us right from wrong. If I had not got a spankin' for some of the things I did I would have probably burned the house down three or four times over. Discipline and correction showed me there was consequences for my actions, as well as, the right way to go about life. They must go together. To be disciplined without knowing what I did wrong and what I should do in the future is like a test without questions; how am I supposed to provide the answer if I can't even perceive the question. Proverbs 12:1 states, "Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but one who hates correction is stupid." Now given, correction isn't always fun, in fact I will go as far to say, it never is, but it is necessary if we are to grow and mature. So, I say, "BRING IT ON!!!" I want to grow. I want to know when what I am doing is not in God's plan for my life.

One other verse I want to examine is verse 11 which declares, "The one who works his land will have plenty of food, but whoever chases fantasies lacks sense." God has given each one of us a work to do. We need to be satisfied with what we have. Don't get me wrong, I believe we should strive to better ourselves and prosper in all areas of life, but too many want the quick fix. We have a microwave mentality; we want it and we want it now. However, it's the journey that brings joy and meaning to life. God will supply for all our needs. We need to trust Him, being diligent to "bloom where we've been planted," not always looking for greener pastures.

May you learn to love discipline and correction so you can grow and mature. May you learn to be content in all situations realizing God is in control of them all and He will help you.

1 comment:

Jenn said...

Hey brother of mine! I just want to point out that I think you are a little confused about how many spankings you got! You know you were always the little angel who never got in trouble. It was the little sis who took on all the beatings! lol.... I really am enjoying all of your blogs. They have really ministered to me and brought me a since of hope on some of my tough days. Love ya